Photo courtesy of Ray O'Neill
Climax B-series Locomotive began running in 1916. It
could move 10,000 to 20,000 superfeet (30 to 36 tonnes)
of timber in a day, as much as a bullock team moved
in a week.
Heritage Society formed in 1998 with a plan to establish walking
tracks and a picnic area adjacent to them, signpost points
of interest where sections of the tramway route were accessible,
identify and possibly restore relevant items of equipment,
and create an illustrated, written history of the Longworth
the designated area for the walking track was cleared,
Bill Boyd, an expert axeman and timber worker well known
for his work on heritage sites throughout the state,
initiated the reconstruction of 90 metres of track.
assistance was given by a Work for the Dole team that
Bill supervised but the bulk of the work was done by
the members of the Society who held regular working
Photo courtesy of Bill
22 April 2001, appropriately the opening day of that year’s
Heritage Week, members of the Kendall Heritage Society together
with members of the Longworth family gathered to celebrate
the official opening of Longworth’s Tramway Heritage
Walk by the Honourable Mark Vaile.
The Walk is
easily accessible from Upsalls Creek Road just before Swans
Crossing, approximately seventeen kilometres west of Kendall.